Last week I got a letter in the mail from the local county government. Upon opening it, I was immediately disappointed. I had been assigned to jury duty, and this obligation could last as long as two weeks! In the midst of a busy schedule, this was exactly what I didn’t want to get in the mail. However, after thinking about it further, I realized that this is not a huge commitment and is a small price to pay for the freedom that comes from living under the justice system we have in America.
Sure, I could probably find a way to get out of the jury duty. I’ll be in the final throes of a project for work at that time, but I’m going to do whatever I can to follow through on this obligation. In fact, I’m now starting to look forward to it. I’ve never been on a jury or involved in a trial, so I’m sure I’ll learn a lot. Being a good citizen means honoring our civic responsibilities. Even if it means two weeks of jury duty!