February 25, 2010

Who is Gandhi?

Who is Gandhi?

Sure, you’ve seen all of the inspirational quotes. But when it comes down to actually explaining what he did, could you give a good answer? I couldn’t. Beyond the basics, I didn’t really have an idea. I guess we skipped that chapter in my world history class!

So who was Gandhi? Here’s the 101 version:

Born in 1869, Mahatma Gandhi was a leading political and spiritual figure in India throughout the Indian independence movement. His biggest claim to fame was that he used civil disobedience to resist the rule of tyranny. He was followed by large numbers of people in India, and the result of this nonviolent movement was the independence of India. Gandhi led campaigns across India to expand economic self-reliance, decrease poverty, support women's rights, and end the traditional practice of untouchability. In addition, his methods have served as inspiration for leaders throughout the world who are being suppressed.

So that’s who Gandhi was. Good to know.

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”-Mahatma Gandhi