“I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”
-Edward Everett Hale
To be honest, I have no idea who Edward Everett Hale is (or was) but I really like his short poem. I don’t know about you, but I constantly doubt myself when it seems like I’m confronted with a problem or situation that’s more than I can handle. Why me? What do I have to offer? Edward Everett Hale had the answer to these questions. We’re all someone and we can all do something. When we have a whole lot of “someones” each doing something, the combined results can be amazing.
It’s kind of like the sand on a beach. Each grain is tiny on its own, but when combined with thousands upon millions of other tiny, tiny grains of sand, they together make a beach. Yes, this may sound clichéd, but you can’t deny that it’s true.
Edward Everett Hale was certainly on to something here.