February 18, 2010

Silver Linings in the Snowdrifts

I live in the Washington, D.C. area and we’ve had record breaking snowfalls this winter. It seems like every time we finally dig ourselves out of the latest snowstorm, another one springs up and covers the streets with another dusting of snow and ice. It’s almost like you can hear Nature laughing at the joke she’s played on us, requiring us to plow the roads (once again…) and sprinkle cat litter on the front porch so that we can keep from tripping.

At least there’s been a silver lining amidst the snowstorms.

Having only met my neighbors on passing occasions, driving in and out of the subdivision, the blankets of winter white have forced us out of our houses. We’ve helped each other de-ice our cars and scrape the windshields. I’ve seen nearby kids building amazing snowmen together and couples sharing meals. We’ve offered praise and encouragement to the guy who keeps coming with a bulldozer to plow our driveways. It’s too bad that it took record snowfalls for us to appreciate the people who live right next to us, but I’m thankful nonetheless.

Maybe Nature knows better than she’s letting on…