February 22, 2010

I love my job!

Only 45% of Americans are satisfied with the jobs.

(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/05/national/main6056611.shtml)

That’s less than half of all workers! Is this how you would describe your work?

The dissatisfaction with work has become pandemic. It seems like it’s more culturally acceptable to hate your job, your boss, your coworkers than to enjoy and take pride in the work that you do.

This is especially true for people who are committed to serving other and volunteering. They feel like their jobs aren’t meaningful, worthwhile, or contribute to society. But is that really true? Do you have to volunteer and donate your talents and labor in order for your work to be worthwhile? I don’t think so.

In fact, I have a confession to make. I love my job. I really do. I’m not just saying that because my colleagues, supervisor, or grad school admission panelists might read this. Going to work every day and doing the best job I can is personally gratifying and it also makes a positive impact on the world.
Think of it this way. Someone has to manufacture the shoes that protect the fragile feet of children in third world countries. Someone has to analyze the best way to use farmland so that we can produce high quality, abundant food sources. Someone has to decide where to invest money so that it will still be there for people when they have to retire and are unable to work any longer.

If you’re still not convinced that your paid job is as meaningful as your volunteer work, here’s another way to think about it. Consider your job a type of training ground for your service efforts. You learn valuable skills while working in your full-time job, and you can transfer those talents and abilities to your volunteer work. Doing a good job is, well, good.

P.S. Along these lines, it’s ok to make money! It’s what you do with your money that matters. In my mind, making money isn’t a crime. Money can be used to do a lot of good. As long as you don’t worship the dollar or let your bank account fuel your self-worth, it’s not wrong to be rich.